<span class="highlight">Best</span> <span class="highlight">Time</span> <span class="highlight">To</span> Visit Flinders Ranges.

My wife and I are keen to visit the Flinders Ranges; hopefully we will be able to see both the north and south.

We welcome informed opinions as to the best time of year. For us summer is out as we will travel across from Sydney free camping where we can so as to be able to afford the trip and have no air conditioning in our small caravan, conversely in winter we may find the winter nights a tad too chilly.

I’m thinking either spring or autumn, too late for me to do it this autumn so I’m talking spring 2010 or autumn 2011. Are there any wild flowers to see in spring? Would one be a better proposition than the other

Ian.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 16:34

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 16:34
I'm thinking you are right.

Late Autumn, early spring is good.

It gets very hot towards summer, spring should be good for flowers and growth generally.

AnswerID: 407115

Reply By: Baz&Pud (Tassie) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 17:31

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 17:31
Except for the summer months any time in the Flinders is a good time.
Cheers
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 407126

Reply By: GerryP - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 19:30

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 19:30
August/September, especially after a good wet winter. That's the time of year that you'll find a wonderful display of flora all around. Autumn is generally dry and brown, especially after a hot, dry summer.

Cheers
Gerry
AnswerID: 407144

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 19:55

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 19:55
Hi Ian
Like above, the best times of the year to visit the Flinders are from late autumn until about early October. If you strike it after a wet winter, Spring will reward you with the most brilliant display of wild flowers. If you are looking for Stuart Pea, you will have to head out to the drier places, east of Wilpena and up on the Martins Well to Arkaroola Road. Many years ago out at Chambers Gorge, the groups of Sturt Pear were the size of cricket pitches. That was in 1974 and I have not seen them like that again. You not be aware, but the main road from Wilpena to Blinman is now all bitumen.

Make sure you allow plenty of time if this is your first trip. Even on our last trip last October, we still spent 10 nights up there and we have been there countless times, as they are so many fines places that you never get sick of seeing.

Cheers

Stephen
Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 407150

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 21:33

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 21:33
Hey Stephen,

Some great photos there Mate.

I agree with your comments. When we go to the Flinders Ranges we always find something different. We particularly like Brachina Gorge, but there are plenty of other places just as good. Skytrek is great but there are other 4WD treks still to do.

Us South Aussies are just so fortunate to have such a great State to tour in.
The Flinders and the outback areas of our State are just so timeless and enjoyable to travel around. When you encounter inclement weather along the way, it's just another experience of what Mother Nature can dish up and there is always different choices, or workarounds to take at times.

Bill.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 677014

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 22:00

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 22:00
Hi Bill
Thanks for that. Yes we are so very fortunate here and the Flinders would have to rate as one of the best locations here in SA. Those that are coming from the east, the track up from Yunta is a great drive with more great scenery. A good thing about the Flinders is you can go to a place twice in one day and the different light gives the place a different look and feel.

I think that the Flinders should be on every Australian's wish and must do list.

Cheers

Stephen

Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 677023

Reply By: Member - Prickle (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 22:19

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 22:19
Ian,

You have it all here.

We have been visiting the Flinders for over 30 years. It is never the same.

So when ever you visit it will be good. Of course this all depends on what you are looking for too.

Enjoy and appreciate the surrounds and you cannot go wrong. It is always a great experience up there.

RB
Russ

Life-often hell but never boring.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 407181

Reply By: Richard W (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 05:36

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 05:36
Ian,

I've was there in winter 05 and it was bitterly cold and wet.
Was there last year April/May with a group of artists and it was great.
Heading there again this year April/May with the same group.
If you are interested I have a trip report in My Blog.
AnswerID: 407201

Reply By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 19:43

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 19:43
Thanks to all who took the time to reply to my query.

We have decided to pencil in this coming September.

Richard, will have a look at your blog.

Just preparing the next set of questions as to which route to take and how much time to allocate - that one will no doubt be dictated by the budget or lack thereof.

Ian
AnswerID: 407267

Sponsored Links